While I was on campus Richard helped me make a new plaster orginial flask, and a new 3 part mould. I wanted to slip cast from a new mould as the old one had problems with the neck. I wanted a smoother, thinner flask.
The work came out of the kiln today. The bisqued pieces didn't vitrify, the screen printed flask with the clear glaze made the ink less sharp. I would love to try them in the university's raku kiln. The decals melted into the glaze but look shaky, rather than sharp. Low temperature decals next time. The … Continue reading Final firing results
Today I filled the kiln with all the work that I will take to Bath next Monday and Tuesday, for the group Crit and the meeting at the Holburne Museum. This leaves a month to work when I return. The work I've produced so far in the term is really a body of experimental work … Continue reading Final firing
The assemblage spent 3 days in the river, as I was photographing it it fell apart, back into it's separate parts. I decided to glaze the separate parts and assemble after the firing. The drystane dykes are expressions of the genius loci - built using traditional knowledge and materials and are shaped by the weather, … Continue reading Elemental: embodying the powers of nature
I put the black clay assemblage in for a low temperature bisque fire at 780 so I could put it in the river on site where I collected samples to see if it will erode. I’ll leave it for 3 days while I am staying in the village at Loch Lomond.
I decided to try a batch of flasks where I screen print directly onto the slab that has had the folded paper pressed onto it and is ready to be press moulded. The recipe for this print medium for direct printing onto a plastic slab is the simplest - heavy glaze medium plus under glaze … Continue reading Direct printing onto clay
The flasks were our in a 780 degree firing. This is a normal decal firing however I should've checked the PDF instructions as they came out of the kiln burned off. The ink turned to dust instead of fusing with the glaze and can be wiped off. I'll need to check the instructions. Pretty disastrous … Continue reading Decal firing for the flasks
The decals arrived. I would say the print defines the building sketch more than the text. I wanted the text more defined. Part of the R&D process. The shape of the flask is tricky to decal. I know the decal printers can work with you to shape the decal according to the curved body of … Continue reading Flasks decalled
The first 12 flasks are in for a glaze firing, I'll take them out of the kiln and see if I programmed the kiln properly. I'll experiment on a couple of the larger flasks too. My decals arrive tomorrow so I should be able to have them decalled and put in a decal firing … Continue reading Flasks in for a glaze firing