Here's mould 4, less stressful no leaks again and lighter to get into the drying cupboard as was no 3, both of which I reduced the thickness of the plaster to 4cm.
Here's mould no 3. I used 4 concrete blocks to hold the cottle sides which seemed to help as there was no floods unlike mould 1 and 2.
Here's mould no 2, still very heavy, I'm going to reduce the thickness of the mould to 4cm as it took 3 of us again to lift the mould onto the shelf in the drying room.
I'm managing 3 sides in 8 hours, so finishing over 2 days. This is mould no 1
6 coats of yacht varnish later - very thirsty cut surfaces of the mdf will swell when the plaster encloses it if its not properly sealed. 8 hours minimum between coats.
Here are photographs of the mdf that was cut to the hand drawn profiles, drawn in illustrator. I glued the sections together, registering with dowels, concrete blocks at right angles and clamps.
I sent the illustrator files of the profiles off to be CND'd to Glasgow CNC centre that some of the people in the studio had used as I wasn't able to liase in time with Tim, who was going to rout the profiles out of a block of plaster. I have time constraints in that … Continue reading Making models
The timber ponds feature in an episode of Britain at Low Tide: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/britain-at-low-tide/on-demand/66195-006 This is a study of intertidal archaeology of remains found in the River Clyde estuary and it's history leading up to the 19/20th century ship building in the Clyde. Remains of iron age Crannog, Schooners and mud punts are half buried in … Continue reading Timber pond historical research
I've been exploring the profiles of the timbers by tracing elevational studies onto photographs. Photographs taken with iPhone 7, imported into Adobe Draw, iPad Pro, traced over using apple pencil. Edited in Adobe Illustrator CC2019 and Adobe Photoshop CC2019.