The flasks are being sited in the museum on a long 3.25m wide window frame, with views of the architectural details to the side, eg the first floor window. This should tie in with the graphics of the building sketch on the flasks and the idea of the architecture as context. The reflections on the … Continue reading Exhibition design: Passport Flasks
I designed the leaflet for the exhibition, a few changes happened as it went to print but this is the final version I worked on. It was designed to be sliced and folded, hence the upside down half. Side 1 Side 2
Passage: In Passage, students have sited works in and around the existing collection and the exhibition is launched as a Holburne Up Late Event. This year nine students have each responded to objects across the museum, whether on display or in storage, delving into technique and concept through a process of selection, close-reading and reinterpretation. … Continue reading Passport Flasks – the finale
The flasks vitrified well in the firing thank goodness. I need to pack them so I can carry all 30 in hand luggage on Thursday.
I've been posting the progress of the flasks on Instagram and made a couple of collages on the process of making the plaster block and the image transfer investigations.
The parian flasks are ready for their bisque firing. I made around 5 in the studio Wednesday/Thursday, I exploded one in my hand while I was cleaning it, so I decided to open the slip casting weekend sweat shop at home to finish the other 10 or so. I found the parian slower and more … Continue reading Parian flasks
The 14 porcelain flasks went into a bisque firing on Thursday. The ink seems stable, I will put them into a final firing to vitrify them. I started on the parian flasks, I'll try to make at least 15. Porcelain flasks out of the kiln after bisque firing
I moved the slip casting to the kitchen over the bank holiday to maximise time to make the flasks. Then I had to move the greenware to the studio today... The lugs in particular are very delicate so it was stressful to move them to the studio. I managed to re-attach all the ones that … Continue reading Transferring the greenware to the studio
I've spent the last few days slip casting with porcelain into the new mould. I had lots of problems, which turned out to be the mould hadn't dried out properly. I left it overnight, put it in the oven at a very low temperature and it dried out.